Thursday, December 26, 2013

Blog #5

Choose 3 of the following quotes to analyze in 3-4 sentences each. 
In your analysis, respond to how you would feel if you were in Finny, Gene and the other Devon boys' positions. 

Chapter 1: "The class above, seniors, draft-bait, practically soldiers, rushed ahead of us toward the war. They were caught up in accelerated courses and first-aid programs and a physical hardening regimen, which included jumping from this tree" p. 15

Chapter 2: "Bombs in Central Europe were completely unreal to us here, not because we couldn't imagine it […] but because our place here was too fair for us to accept something like that. We spent that summer in complete selfishness, I'm happy to say. The people in the world who could be selfish in the summer of 1942 were a small band, and I'm glad we took advantage of it" p. 30

Chapter 3: "The war was and is reality for me. I still instinctively live and think in its atmosphere..." p.40

Chapter 9:"In the silences between jokes about Leper's glories we wondered whether we ourselves would measure up to the humblest minimum standard of the army. I did not know everything there was to know about myself, and knew that I did not know it; I wondered in the silences between jokes about Leper whether the still hidden parts of myself might contain the Sad Sack, the outcast, or the coward. We were all at our funniest about Leper, and we all secretly hoped that Leper, that incompetent, was as heroic as we said "p.127

Chapter 12: "I'll hate it everywhere if I am not in this war!..." p. 190

No comments:

Post a Comment